Thursday, March 24, 2011

a delayed wednesday: leadership

wednesday's BSU Blogfest post is a little late. it was a little crazy yesterday, but here it is :)

so Wednesday's theme was Leadership!

being a leader has been a new concept for me in the last year.
in high school and for my first couple years of college I never really thought of myself as a leader. for a while I was content being the follower. I got along standing on the side. But I always wondered what it would be like to be a leader.

last year, when it was my first year at BSU, I was genuinely happy being at this school and really felt that I had found where I was meant to be going to college.
I made a lot of new friends, many of whom I looked up to as great leaders on campus. they urged me to apply to be an Orientation Leader. until they mentioned it to me, I hadn't really thought much about it. I wasn't sure if I was the right kind of person to be an OL. they asked me a few different times to apply and I eventually did.

now after I went through the group process interview and found out I was an alternate, I wasn't overly upset and went on with the semester.

then I had a few different people asking if I was going to apply for PC e-board when they were looking to fill a few more positions. again, I wasn't sure I was going to be right for this position, but I figured, let's try it out. it's worth a shot. I went in for an interview and found out I was the director of marketing.

so long story short (and I know I've told the story before here on the blog) I found out I was going to be an OL. last summer, I really started to feel like a leader.

I know now that anyone can become a leader. the first step is going out there and trying it out. if I had gone along telling myself that I'm "not the right kind of person" then I never would have had the best summer I think I've ever had. I never would have learned that there isn't a cookie cutter kind of leader.
I gained so much confidence in realizing that yes, I can do this. I can be that person who stands in front of a group and be the one who they look to for guidance.

leadership has definitely been an important part of my life.
I'm not afraid to say I'm not the right kind of person anymore.

:)

0 two cents' worth: