Thursday, November 5, 2009

here's to happiness

In this post I said this November was going to be better than November last year. Let me tell you a little story.

My mom’s side of the family was always very close when I was younger. My mom has two brothers and two sisters. I can remember going to visit my grandparents at their house a half hour away from my house all the time on the weekends. We would have family parties with all my aunts, uncles (including my great aunt and uncle), and cousins all the time. Thanksgiving and Christmas were the greatest holidays! I loved hanging out with everyone.

We were all growing up. My grandparents and great aunt and uncle ended up moving to Florida in retirement. My aunt, uncle and cousins were always moving because my uncle is in the Coast Guard. My uncle, aunt and cousin moved to Florida for job opportunities. I still have family that live around me in MA and RI, but the rest of the family is all spread out now.

Now my grandmother had been sick all my life. She had emphysema and other breathing problems. That’s another reason why they had moved down to Florida, to help her breathe more easily. No matter how sick she got, she never complained. She had her good days and bad days, but she NEVER complained. Well, a year ago tomorrow she passed away.

That day was probably the saddest day of my life. I accidentally found out and was devastated. I knew my mom had flown down to Florida the day before but I didn’t know she was so sick. I found out on a Thursday night in the midst of studying for 3 different tests the next day. Let’s just say the studying went out the window.

So my dad picked me up the next day and we went to Boston and picked up my older brother. We ended up flying to Florida on Sunday for her funeral and to be with everyone else.

Something you need to know about my family is we don’t doom and gloom when someone passes away. We didn’t focus on her death, we focused on her life. We celebrated her life while we were in Florida. We were ALL together again and said our goodbyes to the strongest person I’ve ever met. I miss my grandmother every day.

I know this November is going to be better than last November because I’m not struck with the loss of my grandmother. I know she’s breathing easier in heaven and watching over me every day. I wish I could tell her how much happier I am where I am today than from last year. I think she’s definitely playing a part in that. =)

I love you Gramma and miss you every day! Love Meg

2 two cents' worth:

Meredith said...

That was beautiful, Meghan! I love you! And Gramma loves you!

Vanessa said...

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about that. I lost my grandmother in 98 on Christmas Eve, it makes it a rough holiday for the whole family. At least we know they aren't suffering anymore (mine died from cancer 8( )

I love how you put a positive spin on it. Here is to a wonderful November!